Offered by Susan Kline
Isn’t it kind of amazing how one fruit has become the single defining graphic and flavor to announce the coming of this season? All you have to do is see a picture of pumpkins and you’re in the mood to cook, bake, and gather for fun as a family. As a tribute to our hero fruit and flavor, we’re listing a few facts about pumpkins to honor Fall’s defining symbol of Autumn celebration:
- Pumpkin seeds are small but powerful. A whole huge pumpkin grows from just one tiny seed!
- Pumpkin seeds are edible, though they are best when roasted first. They contain lots of nutritious vitamin A.
- Pumpkin flowers are edible too!
- 90 to 95% of the processed pumpkins in the United States are grown in Illinois.
- It takes about 4 months for a pumpkin to grow to it’s full size. So plant your seeds by June if you want a pumpkin for Halloween.
- Is a pumpkin a vegetable? No, it’s a fruit!
- The world’s heaviest pumpkin weighed over 2,600 pounds! It was grown in Germany in 2016.
Brighton will have it’s annual Harvest Festival on October 27th from 12 to 4 p.m. There are scheduled to be over 100 vendors in attendance with candy and giveaways for families who attend. If you want to expand your horizons and meet a lot of people who are passionate about this area and its children, please take time between 12-4 p.m. on the 27th to attend this event. Your children will have great fun and can take home a treasure trove of candy and treats! Also directly following this event is the City’s Carnival Palooza at the Brighton Rec Center’s parking lot from 4-6:30. Don’t miss out on all of this October fun!
Happy Halloween from The Brighton Buzz