Offered by Jan Giuliano, Academy Mortgage – The Giuliano Team
Mortgage Lenders are not experts on credit but here are some tips that can help anyone committed to good financial health:
- Pay all your bills on time. One 30 day late payment can have significant negative impact on your scores.
- Don’t co-sign loans. Their late payments are yours!
- Don’t close revolving accounts. Keep them at a zero balance until ready to use. Make sure you use them occasionally. When an account goes dormant, it won’t raise your score. In fact, your score may go down!
- Don’t open unnecessary accounts. (Inquiries may or may not affect your score depending on the rest of your credit history).
- When using a revolving account don’t go over the half-way mark of the credit limit. The moment you do you will lose points for each account over and for each month reported. If you need to go over the half-way mark, make a payment to keep the balance below. You’ll still need to make your regular payment as this doesn’t count towards the monthly payment.
- Report fraud. If you find yourself a victim, contact the police and file a report, contact credit bureaus, credit card companies, banks, and the FTC at www.ftc.com
- Monitor your credit. Check your credit at www.creditkarma.com
- If you are planning to refinance or buy a home, do not make any purchases, run-up balances on your credit cards, or open new accounts prior or during the transaction.
- If your credit needs major help, find an expert. Keep in mind it will probably take some work or effort on your part, take some time and some money to fix it.
- Call your lender before you start looking at houses to make sure your credit is where it should be for qualifying.
Got questions about mortgages, financing or refinancing a home? Call Frank at 303-450-1650, Jan 720-634-2407 or Mitch at 720-634-2410 today!
Click here to view The Giuliano Team at Academy Mortgage Corporation on The Brighton Buzz Business Directory